You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New IPad - What's This?

So... I have a new IPad + New Icloud info and do not have access to previous device...

Problem: I can't find a way to remove my phone number from a previous device I had.

My new IPad states when I try to put associate my number to my new Ipad/info "This phone number is already in use with another account"

Please help as this is also messing up my actual phone sms (some messages coming throw while others isn't)

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 8, 2021 7:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2021 1:54 AM

If you are using a different AppleID, you will need to de-register your mobile phone number from your old AppleID account:

Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online – Apple Support

Once de-registered, you’ll be able to register your phone number against your new AppleID.

In the majority of cases, creating and using an entirely different AppleID not recommended - as you’ll lose access to any paid Apple Apps, Subscriptions and Services purchased from your old AppleID. All purchases are permanently tied to the AppleID account from where the purchase is made - and cannot be transferred. All of your devices should be signed-in with the same AppleID.

Your AppleID is the key to Apple Services. The account will generally be kept through your lifetime, updating your primary email address (this being the username with which you sign-in to iCloud and other Apple Services) as necessary. Similarly, you should keep your secondary (recovery) email addresses and trusted telephone numbers up to date - as these may be needed if you should ever lock-out your account.

For info:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Change your Apple ID password – Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 9, 2021 1:54 AM in response to A_Brat

If you are using a different AppleID, you will need to de-register your mobile phone number from your old AppleID account:

Deregister iMessage on your iPhone or online – Apple Support

Once de-registered, you’ll be able to register your phone number against your new AppleID.

In the majority of cases, creating and using an entirely different AppleID not recommended - as you’ll lose access to any paid Apple Apps, Subscriptions and Services purchased from your old AppleID. All purchases are permanently tied to the AppleID account from where the purchase is made - and cannot be transferred. All of your devices should be signed-in with the same AppleID.

Your AppleID is the key to Apple Services. The account will generally be kept through your lifetime, updating your primary email address (this being the username with which you sign-in to iCloud and other Apple Services) as necessary. Similarly, you should keep your secondary (recovery) email addresses and trusted telephone numbers up to date - as these may be needed if you should ever lock-out your account.

For info:

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Change your Apple ID password – Apple Support

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

New IPad - What's This?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.