You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting a USB-c drive to a Thunderbolt 2 Port

Is there ant way to connect a USB-C ssd external drive to an iMac with a Thunderbolt 2 Port?

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 6:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 10:40 AM

Well, there are no real solutions for taking a USB-C drive to a Thunderbolt 2 Mac, if the drive does not have an external power supply. Unfortunately, you will have to deal with the slightly slower speeds of USB. A SSD though is still really fast!

Cheers,

Jack

6 replies

Jan 26, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

First thanks for your prompt response, unfortunately my USB-C SSD NVMe drive does not have a separate power supply to enable use of the Apple adapter. I would consider investing in one with a separate power supply if I could find one.

Because I use this drive to move between different devices (none of which have anything better than USB-C) I already have a USB 3 adapter similar to your second suggestion but if I can I would really like to find a way of connecting to the Thunderbolt 2 port on my iMac (with internal ssd and no USB-C) for the occaisional more intensive work. Also the extra for a Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C drive plus adapter doesn't seem like good value for my purposes but it may be my only solution as I can see that a number of other have asking for similar information.

Thanks again.

Connecting a USB-c drive to a Thunderbolt 2 Port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.