You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K no sound with atmos on Yamaha 3040 receiver.

I see this ha been brought up many times, no resolution, apart from a software update that seemed to fix it for a while?!

inhave just bought a brand new apple tv4k, to play atmos through my Yamaha Avantage RX a3040 receiver with 7.4.1 setup.

No sound at all with atmos selected on Apple TV when playing a relevant film.

deselect atmos, works perfect in 7.1

any ideas. I am using the correct modes on the Yamaha, have a perfectly good HDMI and excellent broadband....

thanks in advance.

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 4:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 4:31 AM

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

• Verify that you Apple TV is connected to your receiver directly. Apple TV → AV receiver → TV.
  • Verify that your receiver supports Dolby MAT (uncompressed), as that is the format that Apple TV uses to output Dolby Atmos. The receiver may need a firmware update, as some models had this capability added later.
  • Verify that the Apple TV is connected to an HDMI 2.0 port with 18 Gbps certified HDMI cables.
  • Some receivers and TVs need their HDMI 2.0 port configured for high bandwidth “Enhanced” use.
7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2021 4:31 AM in response to AJF108

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

• Verify that you Apple TV is connected to your receiver directly. Apple TV → AV receiver → TV.
  • Verify that your receiver supports Dolby MAT (uncompressed), as that is the format that Apple TV uses to output Dolby Atmos. The receiver may need a firmware update, as some models had this capability added later.
  • Verify that the Apple TV is connected to an HDMI 2.0 port with 18 Gbps certified HDMI cables.
  • Some receivers and TVs need their HDMI 2.0 port configured for high bandwidth “Enhanced” use.

Feb 13, 2021 7:38 AM in response to AJF108

I have a Yamaha RX-A2A (brand new for 2021). Firmware is up to date. The connections are verified, the HDMI cable test worked perfectly, etc. But when I have ATMOS selected on the ATV and watch a movie with Atmos, there is a delay of 5-10 seconds before the sound starts. If I switch the ATV back to 5.1 instead of Atmos, there is no delay. Not a deal breaker, but annoying. Not sure what is causing the delay.

Apple TV 4K no sound with atmos on Yamaha 3040 receiver.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.