You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot set German/QWERTY on Hardware Keyboard

I have a issue with my bluetooth keyboard for my Airpad 2. I have it set to English(US), Czech(Qwerty) and as I have recently moved to Germany and need a German spellcheck, I wanted to add German(Qwerty) as well. But when I go to Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Hardware keyboard -> German(Germany), there is no qwerty option. There is German and German Standard, I have tried both and they are both qwertz. The only other German layout offered is Swiss German and I don't want to use Swiss German. All the other layouts are for different languages. Anyone else is having this problem? I could add Czech - Qwerty just fine. I am on iPadOS 14.3

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 10:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 8:40 AM

Swiss German is also qwertz. Apple has never provided a German qwerty hardware layout (unlike Czech qwerty), and custom hardware layouts are not yet possible in iOS.

A workaround would be to choose US in the Hardware Keyboard for German and make the German special characters via the standard option key shortcuts.

https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/mac/codemac/

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2021 8:40 AM in response to sevenjetc

Swiss German is also qwertz. Apple has never provided a German qwerty hardware layout (unlike Czech qwerty), and custom hardware layouts are not yet possible in iOS.

A workaround would be to choose US in the Hardware Keyboard for German and make the German special characters via the standard option key shortcuts.

https://sites.psu.edu/symbolcodes/mac/codemac/

Cannot set German/QWERTY on Hardware Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.