You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Content & Privacy Restrictions

My sons iPad 5 changes the passcode I set for Screen Time on Content & Privacy Restrictions by itself and now we cannot change options because we don’t know the passcode. I have reset and restored iPad 3 times now and it continues to reset passcode.

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 12:13 PM

9 replies

Jan 24, 2021 1:11 PM in response to FrustratedParents

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime passcode, one of the two procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13.x or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The most recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

I hope this information is helpful to you in successfully resetting your forgotten passcode.

Jan 24, 2021 3:10 PM in response to FrustratedParents

I presume you’re aware of the available Parental Controls?

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

As the the “design flaw”, Apple have addressed the issue in iPadOS13/14, such that a forgotten ScreenTime/Restrictions Passcode can be reset. Prior to this, the encrypted Restrictions Passcode was included within the device backup - and was always restored along with data from the backup.

Jan 24, 2021 1:15 PM in response to LotusPilot

Thank you but I have done a full recovery 2 times and did a full remove and set up as a new iPad and this happens over and over again. I am not forgetting the passcode the iPad resets it to an unknown passcode. There must be a defect and this is not even a year old iPad. I bought AppleCare+ so I feel like I am going to need to get a replacement.

Content & Privacy Restrictions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.