You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accent Menu on Macbook Pro 2020 Big Sur NOWHERE TO BE FOUND

I cannot for the life of me find/activate the accent menu. I'm a modern language major so having the accents is very necessary for me. The accent menu worked perfectly fine on my 2017 MacBook Pro and now with this new 2020 with Big Sur, it's disappeared. No solution online (I've only seen 2) works. Going to Modifier Keys in System Preferences and making sure they're on Default does not work. Going to Terminal and entering

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled -bool true

does not work either! With this Terminal option, restarting the laptop rewrites everything and goes right back to the default setting of repeating the letters when holding down the keys. I've never had to even think about it using the MacBook Pro 2017. Now, I can't function and can't find a solution.

Really frustrating!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 6:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 10:03 AM

Howdy,

I've been testing on my iMac and haven't found a way to disable the Accent Menu.

For example, here it is in TextEdit:

And Pages:

But do you happen to have Webroot SecureAnywhere installed?

I did find this:

If you can’t use Dictation or type accented characters on your Mac, or select emoji in the Touch Bar of your MacBook Pro

These features might not work if you've installed the third-party product Webroot SecureAnywhere.

Webroot SecureAnywhere is made by Webroot Inc. When this software is installed on your Mac using its default settings, you might notice these symptoms:

• Text that you dictate doesn't appear as expected.
  • You don't see any accented characters when you hold down a letter key.
  • You can't select items such as emoji in the Touch Bar of your 2016 MacBook Pro.

Follow these steps to fix the issue:

1. Click the Webroot SecureAnywhere icon in the menu bar.
  2. Choose Pause Secure Keyboard Entry.

Webroot support article provides more information about this solution.

ivan

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2021 10:03 AM in response to Christi298

Howdy,

I've been testing on my iMac and haven't found a way to disable the Accent Menu.

For example, here it is in TextEdit:

And Pages:

But do you happen to have Webroot SecureAnywhere installed?

I did find this:

If you can’t use Dictation or type accented characters on your Mac, or select emoji in the Touch Bar of your MacBook Pro

These features might not work if you've installed the third-party product Webroot SecureAnywhere.

Webroot SecureAnywhere is made by Webroot Inc. When this software is installed on your Mac using its default settings, you might notice these symptoms:

• Text that you dictate doesn't appear as expected.
  • You don't see any accented characters when you hold down a letter key.
  • You can't select items such as emoji in the Touch Bar of your 2016 MacBook Pro.

Follow these steps to fix the issue:

1. Click the Webroot SecureAnywhere icon in the menu bar.
  2. Choose Pause Secure Keyboard Entry.

Webroot support article provides more information about this solution.

ivan

Accent Menu on Macbook Pro 2020 Big Sur NOWHERE TO BE FOUND

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.