You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad doesn't select

I have a new Macbrook Pro and twice the trackpad has stopped. The cursor moves and tracks but it wont click or select so nothing opens and I cannot move windows around. The first time it suddenly came back to life The day of my Genius bar appt. so I didn't take it in.

The laptop keyboard and Logitech keyboard works fine, but the MX mouse also only moves the cursor around like the trackpad and won't execute any commands when I tap it.

So wouldn't you think this is a software issue? If so, couldn't it be fixed online rather than in person? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 1:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 8:12 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode which disables some Apple drivers and most of the third party drivers, as well as Startup & Login Items.

To look for software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

1 reply

Trackpad doesn't select

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.