You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why I have been locked out of making changes to the system preferences since the Big Sur update?

Since I updated to "macOS Big Sur" a couple of days ago I can't make any changes to my security settings. If I click the lock it requires my login password which I obviously know otherwise I wouldn't be able to login to my mac. However, when I type my password required to make changes to things in system settings (e.g. Security and privacy) it acts as though I have inputted the wrong password.

As a result, I tried changing the system password slightly. Again, I could login just fine but it made no difference in changing the system preferences. I still can't access it and it must be triggered by this update as it worked fine before the update. How can I remove this update when the stupid system won't recognise my login password?

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 4:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply
3 replies

Jan 20, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Barney-15E

I followed your the instructions to shut down the Mac, press and hold the power button for 10 secs then release the buttom and wait a few seconds before pressing the power button again. That seems to have worked. I also uninstalled a program called Little Snitch which was apparently not compatible with Big Sur, so I am wondering if that might have had something to do with it.

Anyway, thanks!

Why I have been locked out of making changes to the system preferences since the Big Sur update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.