You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I edit iphone photos on my mac?

I want to edit photos on my macbook pro that have been taken with my iPhone. When I double click on the photo to enlarge I get a screen with an ! on it and no picture.

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 3:16 PM

4 replies

Jan 18, 2021 5:11 PM in response to mkrepsmoo

You can edit iPhone photos directly on the iPhone. To edit them on your Mac, connect your iPhone to the Mac and import them into your Photos Library and edit them there.

If you already did the import and can't double click on a photo inside of the Photos program to edit it, there may be something wrong with your Photos Library. Try creating a new one, hold down the option key when starting up Photos and create a new Photos Library, you can call it iPhone Photos or something like that. Then connect your iPhone and import the photos into that new Library. You should be able to edit them there.

If the problem you described is happening with your already existing Library, I still recommend creating this new Library for your iPhone images; you can return to that existing Library by again holding option when starting Photos and selecting that previous Library to open it. Then close Photos, and reopen it following instructions here https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204967 to try to "repair" it. In case this repair does not work, you should make a second copy of the Library you are trying to repair first.

why can't I edit iphone photos on my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.