You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Office 2016 work in Catalina? "About" shows 32 bit after updates

Why is it impossible to reply to any of the past posts regarding this? There's some good information but no way to follow up.

Here's my question: I have updated my Office apps to 16.16.27. Awesome. However, under system preferences>software>applications they still read as being 32 bit. So, do they work in Catalina if I have updated them? Or not. Replies accepted as far as I know until apparently they aren't. PS And I"m not going any where near Big Sur yet. Need to check the apps I know won't work.

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 1:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 1:18 PM

Version 15.25 and later are 64 bit. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/office-for-mac/office-2016-for-mac-64-bit-upgrade

I'm running Big Sur and don't have "system preferences>software>applications"

If memory is correct, 32/6 bit information in Catalina is displayed in About this Mac > System Report > Software > Applications, but with Big Sur that no longer shows 32/64 bit.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2021 1:18 PM in response to TuckerdogAVL

Version 15.25 and later are 64 bit. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/office-for-mac/office-2016-for-mac-64-bit-upgrade

I'm running Big Sur and don't have "system preferences>software>applications"

If memory is correct, 32/6 bit information in Catalina is displayed in About this Mac > System Report > Software > Applications, but with Big Sur that no longer shows 32/64 bit.

Does Office 2016 work in Catalina? "About" shows 32 bit after updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.