You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new battery, charging very slow

I was having issues with my battery not charging so I took my macbook pro (13 inch, 2016 two thunderbolt ports, no touchbar) in to an Apple certified store and they told me my battery was used up and I was over number of charging cycles. They replaced the battery and when I took it home to charge it, it charges very slowly. I have reset the SMC multiple times, which fixes it for about a day or two and then it is slow again. It takes about 1 hour to charge 10%, sometimes longer. I also bought a new charging cable, which didn't fix the problem. The only thing I haven't replaced is the charging adapter. When I check the power information, when it charges slowly it only reads as being 12 watts and it can't recognize the charger ID (just shows 0x0000) When it's fixed after resetting the SMC it shows as 60W and has the full charger ID number. Is there a way I can fix this without resetting the SMC every few days or getting a whole new computer? I just spent a lot of money on a new battery so it kind of sucks that this is still an issue for me.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 10:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 11:05 AM

Syddles12 wrote:

I was having issues with my battery not charging so I took my macbook pro (13 inch, 2016 two thunderbolt ports, no touchbar) in to an Apple certified store and they told me my battery was used up and I was over number of charging cycles. They replaced the battery and when I took it home to charge it, it charges very slowly. I have reset the SMC multiple times, which fixes it for about a day or two and then it is slow again. It takes about 1 hour to charge 10%, sometimes longer. I also bought a new charging cable, which didn't fix the problem. The only thing I haven't replaced is the charging adapter. When I check the power information, when it charges slowly it only reads as being 12 watts and it can't recognize the charger ID (just shows 0x0000) When it's fixed after resetting the SMC it shows as 60W and has the full charger ID number. Is there a way I can fix this without resetting the SMC every few days or getting a whole new computer? I just spent a lot of money on a new battery so it kind of ***** that this is still an issue for me.

you can reset the SMC 3-4 times in a row to force the issue- no harm there.

macOS Catalina 10.15.5 introduces battery health management, a feature designed to improve the lifespan of your Mac notebook's battery.

The Battery Health button appears in >SystemPreferences>Energy Saver/“Battery” in the newer macOS —this feature is limited to Mac laptops with Thunderbolt 3 ports. That equates to all MacBook Pro models released since late 2016 and the Retina-capable MacBook Air models released since 2018.

With the release of macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur see >System Preferences>Battery

About battery health management in Mac notebooks https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

If you were to disable the new feature, it would go back to the old way of what you are expecting to see.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2021 11:05 AM in response to Syddles12

Syddles12 wrote:

I was having issues with my battery not charging so I took my macbook pro (13 inch, 2016 two thunderbolt ports, no touchbar) in to an Apple certified store and they told me my battery was used up and I was over number of charging cycles. They replaced the battery and when I took it home to charge it, it charges very slowly. I have reset the SMC multiple times, which fixes it for about a day or two and then it is slow again. It takes about 1 hour to charge 10%, sometimes longer. I also bought a new charging cable, which didn't fix the problem. The only thing I haven't replaced is the charging adapter. When I check the power information, when it charges slowly it only reads as being 12 watts and it can't recognize the charger ID (just shows 0x0000) When it's fixed after resetting the SMC it shows as 60W and has the full charger ID number. Is there a way I can fix this without resetting the SMC every few days or getting a whole new computer? I just spent a lot of money on a new battery so it kind of ***** that this is still an issue for me.

you can reset the SMC 3-4 times in a row to force the issue- no harm there.

macOS Catalina 10.15.5 introduces battery health management, a feature designed to improve the lifespan of your Mac notebook's battery.

The Battery Health button appears in >SystemPreferences>Energy Saver/“Battery” in the newer macOS —this feature is limited to Mac laptops with Thunderbolt 3 ports. That equates to all MacBook Pro models released since late 2016 and the Retina-capable MacBook Air models released since 2018.

With the release of macOS 11.0.1 Big Sur see >System Preferences>Battery

About battery health management in Mac notebooks https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211094

If you were to disable the new feature, it would go back to the old way of what you are expecting to see.

Brand new battery, charging very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.