You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just migrated to the latest MacBook Pro, but I wish I had done a clean install.

I migrated from a 2012 Mac mini, and I now realize that I could have gotten rid of a lot of old dead files if I had done things differently. Can I erase everything on my MacBook and reinstall Big Sur? And then just reinstall whatever apps I still need and transfer my personal files, etc., from a Time Machine backup? If someone could point me to some good thorough instructions online, that would be great.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 7:24 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 9, 2021 10:51 AM in response to OnyxCygnet

Maybe I can help. Only if you fully erase your hard drive is everything removed. If you reinstall the operating system, then it replaces only it and that can certainly clean up things that may be problematic with it. If you get a new computer, it is best to begin by setting it up and when prompted, open Migration Assistant. Be sure that the two computers are connected together with a USB cable and do not use Wi-Fi as it often causes corruption of the transfer. Also, please pay attention and follow the instructions. At this point, if you pay attention, you will see that you are given some options of what to transfer. If I remember correctly, you can decide not to transfer your apps. That is what you apparently should have done. You can transfer all of your preferences and settings. You can transfer all or none of your files. When done you may then download and do clean installs of all the apps you wish to retain. Please keep in mind that no 32 bit apps will operate in the new computer, so any that you've been using will have to be upgraded, sometimes at a cost. Your Microsoft Office is one of these. If you already have the new 64 bit version, you can download it into the new computer but you will have to re-register it on their web site. Good luck.

Jan 9, 2021 1:49 PM in response to Ronasara

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Yup, I definitely should have considered my options when I had the chance, instead of transferring everthing. Luckily I was able to find out how to erase and start over. The procedure is a little different for M1 Macs, AND you have to be running AT LEAST 11.0.1, otherwise the erase option won't be available. Here is the procedure, copied from the MacRumors forum where I found it (Post#20)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/erasing-an-m1-before-return.2272102/

>>>with Mac OS 11.0.1 here are the steps I used to successfully Erase my M1 Mac and reinstall the baseline OS:

1: Shut down your M1 Mac

2: Press and hold the power button down to enter recovery mode

3: Click the "Options" Gear-cog icon and then press the "Continue" button that appears below it

4: On the next screen, STOP. Look to the upper left corner - to the right the Apple Logo in the menu bar, select "Recovery Assistant" (it is the only menu item)

5: In that drop down menu, select "Erase Mac..."

6: Follow the on-screen steps from there

Note - you will need wifi access. From what I can tell, using this process completely reformats the Mac hard drive to a single partition, downloads a fresh copy of Big Sur, creates a new recovery partition and a new OS partition with an OS only install (no Garage Band, iMovie, Pages, Keynote, etc - which you can install later). The process took about an Hour and ten minutes.<<<

I followed these instructions with no problem, and since I also use iCloud, I automatically got all the really important and useful stuff back. I reinstalled all the apps from the App Store that I actually use, and I'll reinstall others as a specific need arises. I still intend to look through my Time Machine backup to see if I'm missing anything that I really (or even sorta) care about. There's probably some silly stuff that I keep dragging forward because I have trouble letting go, but that's an issue to share on a different board/forum😏

I just migrated to the latest MacBook Pro, but I wish I had done a clean install.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.