You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't partition 'APPLE SSD AP0256M MEDIA' in recovery mode.

I recently erased my 2019 Macbook pro via 'Find my', and upon rebooting it in internet recovery, need to reinstall macOS. Currently there's no destination to install it to. In disk utility under 'internal', I only have 'APPLE SSD AP0256M Media'. I can't partition it and first aid doesn't work, saying 'Problems were found with the partition map'. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 12:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 1:12 PM

Hi Toby_ii,

You'll want to erase the internal drive in order to fix this issue. Erasing the top level of the internal drive, APPLE SSD AP0256M Media, does the following:

• Creates a new partition map for the drive.
  • Automatically creates the EFI system partition (~300 MB).
  • Creates a second partition, formatted with the filesystem of your choice. This second partition occupies the remaining space on the drive, and will also serve as your startup disk.
    • If APFS is chosen, the second partition becomes an APFS container, and a new APFS volume is created with the name, encryption and case-sensitivity that you specify.

When erasing the internal drive, choose these options:

• Name: Macintosh HD (or whatever you want)
  • Format: APFS
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2021 1:12 PM in response to Toby_ii

Hi Toby_ii,

You'll want to erase the internal drive in order to fix this issue. Erasing the top level of the internal drive, APPLE SSD AP0256M Media, does the following:

• Creates a new partition map for the drive.
  • Automatically creates the EFI system partition (~300 MB).
  • Creates a second partition, formatted with the filesystem of your choice. This second partition occupies the remaining space on the drive, and will also serve as your startup disk.
    • If APFS is chosen, the second partition becomes an APFS container, and a new APFS volume is created with the name, encryption and case-sensitivity that you specify.

When erasing the internal drive, choose these options:

• Name: Macintosh HD (or whatever you want)
  • Format: APFS
  • Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Can't partition 'APPLE SSD AP0256M MEDIA' in recovery mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.