You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant stuck on 'Starting up'

I'm setting up my new MacBook Pro, 2020. I'm using 'Migration Assistant' to move stuff over. It now says Starting up, but it's been like that for an hour. How much longer should I wait?

MacBook

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 4:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 8:05 PM

So I fixed this by cancelling the migration and restarting Migration Assistant with the following conditions

1. make sure that the username on both the old and new macs are different.
  2. to make transfers faster, i used USB-C cable
  3. not deleting the existing user account on the new mac (during migration assistant process, there’s a step asking if you want to keep or delete the existing user. )

After these steps, transfer started right away - no more long “Starting up”. Whole transfer of about 100gb took less than 2 hours

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 7, 2021 8:05 PM in response to jaysonng

So I fixed this by cancelling the migration and restarting Migration Assistant with the following conditions

1. make sure that the username on both the old and new macs are different.
  2. to make transfers faster, i used USB-C cable
  3. not deleting the existing user account on the new mac (during migration assistant process, there’s a step asking if you want to keep or delete the existing user. )

After these steps, transfer started right away - no more long “Starting up”. Whole transfer of about 100gb took less than 2 hours

Jan 7, 2021 9:48 PM in response to jaysonng

I waited 3 hours. It never finished, and I cancelled. I restarted Migration Assistant, and then only checked 'Home' or something like that. I didn't have the right cable, so it was over Wifi. Took all night, and then it finished, and everything was fine. I didn't change id's or anything. I wanted to ditch some applications that were causing problems for me, so that's why I wanted to exclude applications. I got my music, and photos too, which I wasn't sure I would get; was it part of my user data? Was it on iCloud? Who knows, it got there . I got my documents separately (I googled this, can't remember now what I did).

Migration Assistant stuck on 'Starting up'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.