You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud storage and use

I'm running out of space on my 6s and bought extra icloud space. My pictures take the most space so i was wondering if i can upload all my pictures on icloud and delete them from my phone. I tried to find info about it online and it seems like keeping pictures only on icloud is possible but how will i view them on my phone? Is iCloud similar to Google Photos? PLease help me i'm stuck

iPhone 6s, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 1:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 6:15 PM

zneedsspace wrote:

My pictures take the most space so i was wondering if i can upload all my pictures on iCloud and delete them from my phone.

No. When you delete photos from the device, they will be deleted in iCloud and all of your devices you are signed in to as that's how iCloud works and was designed.

I tried to find info about it online and it seems like keeping pictures only on icloud is possible but how will i view them on my phone?

Not possible when using iCloud as the photos are stored in their original format in iCloud and a smaller footprint is stored on the device to conserve space.

Is iCloud similar to Google Photos?

Different because iCloud is a syncing service and not a cloud based service like the latter is.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2021 6:15 PM in response to zneedsspace

zneedsspace wrote:

My pictures take the most space so i was wondering if i can upload all my pictures on iCloud and delete them from my phone.

No. When you delete photos from the device, they will be deleted in iCloud and all of your devices you are signed in to as that's how iCloud works and was designed.

I tried to find info about it online and it seems like keeping pictures only on icloud is possible but how will i view them on my phone?

Not possible when using iCloud as the photos are stored in their original format in iCloud and a smaller footprint is stored on the device to conserve space.

Is iCloud similar to Google Photos?

Different because iCloud is a syncing service and not a cloud based service like the latter is.

iCloud storage and use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.