You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a better way to change multiple file names. I cannot do a bulk change.

Every day, I rename up to 200 files. I cannot do a bulk change. In Windows, the process was;

• Navigate with Windows Explorer to the folder with files to rename
  • Select the first first file with a slow double click so the name field is selected
  • Paste the new name and add a description
  • Hit Tab. The new name is accepted and the next file is now selected for renaming

It's always been a laborious process, but with my new MacBook Pro, Big Sur 11.1, it's a clunky process. The MacBook Finder version of the process is;

• Navigate with Finder to the folder with files to rename
  • Select the first file and hit Enter
  • Paste the new name and add a description
  • Hit Enter
  • Hit down arrow to move to the next file
  • Hit Enter to select name field
  • Paste name and add description
  • Hit Enter
  • Hit down arrow to go to next file

There are more keystrokes with the Mac solution. After naming a file, is there a way to move to the next file and have the name field selected and ready to name? I want to minimize the number of keystrokes.

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 12:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 2:05 PM

Alanananda4006 wrote:

There are more keystrokes with the Mac solution. After naming a file, is there a way to move to the next file and have the name field selected and ready to name? I want to minimize the number of keystrokes.

If there's a logical way to name them (egg File1, File2, etc):

Select files.

File > Rename...

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2021 2:05 PM in response to Alanananda4006

Alanananda4006 wrote:

If there's a logical way to name them (egg File1, File2, etc):

Select files.

File > Rename...

I need a better way to change multiple file names. I cannot do a bulk change.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.