You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling macOS/OSX on new HDD - Mid-2011 iMac

The HDD in my Mid-2011 21.5-inch iMac failed a while back (ran AHT twice and this confirmed it). A third party technician took it in to recover the data due to me being unable to at the time. I got the machine back and tried to boot into recovery mode, only for it to cut straight to internet recovery, which resulted in a blank screen (I assume the machine never had the internet recovery firmware update). I had another relatively new hard drive with CloudReady installed on it gathering dust, so I installed that into the machine without formatting, as I assumed this could be done later. I fired up the machine again with the new HDD. Again no recovery mode (no surprises), and again internet recovery resulted in a white screen. So I held down option after a restart, and the new drive IS being recognised under the name EFI Boot, but a black screen went attempting to mount it.

I did some more research, and discovered that my iMac shipped with OSX 10.6.6, and thus I should have an install disk somewhere. Well, I couldn't find that. So currently I have no clear method of reinstalling OSX 10.6.6, any genuine help here?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 1, 2021 12:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2021 7:01 PM

Solved:

Turns out not just my HDD was failing, but the video card was too, resulting in lots of blank white screens when trying to boot into USB installer images. I baked the video card in the oven for eight minutes at 200 degrees celsius. Reinstalled the card, successfully booted into an OS X Lion USB, installed Lion, and now running High Sierra beautifully.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 4, 2021 7:01 PM in response to willyzz

Solved:

Turns out not just my HDD was failing, but the video card was too, resulting in lots of blank white screens when trying to boot into USB installer images. I baked the video card in the oven for eight minutes at 200 degrees celsius. Reinstalled the card, successfully booted into an OS X Lion USB, installed Lion, and now running High Sierra beautifully.

Reinstalling macOS/OSX on new HDD - Mid-2011 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.