You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

midi tracks off by a semitone

I have GarageBand 10.3.1.

When I started my project, I set the key at the top to e flat major (the key of the song). I recorded vocal, guitar tracks separately though a microphone. I added an electric piano through an instrument cable (i.e. non-midi). I then added a bunch of midi tracks with an external midi keyboard. I realized after listening they sounded bad and realized the notes were one semitone flat. If I change the song's key up to E major the midi now is correct but the guitar and vocals have now been moved up a semitone. Strangely, the non-midi piano sounds fine...it didn't change anything...I would have thought it would move that up a semitone like the vocals and guitar.

How do I set all the midi tracks to have the correct notes while leaving the other tracks unaffected?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 6:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 8:57 AM

Greetings,

Wow, that's quite a dilemma. Puzzling that the piano audio track was not shifted while the other two audio tracks were when you changed the key. Also, I don't understand why setting the key to Eb would flatten all the notes played. I thought it was for the loop keys.

Here's a possible work around. Put the master key back to the original (Eb) so your vocals and guitar aren't altered.

Select a MIDI track and open the MIDI editor. Use "piano roll" tab. Select all the notes (left click, hold and drag over all the notes). Carefully drag one note a half step higher. All the selected notes should move too. Now they should play at the proper pitch.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 30, 2020 8:57 AM in response to Blair Miller1

Greetings,

Wow, that's quite a dilemma. Puzzling that the piano audio track was not shifted while the other two audio tracks were when you changed the key. Also, I don't understand why setting the key to Eb would flatten all the notes played. I thought it was for the loop keys.

Here's a possible work around. Put the master key back to the original (Eb) so your vocals and guitar aren't altered.

Select a MIDI track and open the MIDI editor. Use "piano roll" tab. Select all the notes (left click, hold and drag over all the notes). Carefully drag one note a half step higher. All the selected notes should move too. Now they should play at the proper pitch.

midi tracks off by a semitone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.