You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID is asking for old passcode to finish setting up phone but don’t remember 

I forgot passcode to my I phone,so I had to factory restore it using iTunes. But when logging back in with Apple ID and iCloud it ask for old passcode to finish setting up completely. Phone works but I don’t have iMessage or passwords and settings I had before. Also i don’t have access to Apple Cash

Is there a way around this??

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 7:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 11:17 AM

Hi there Fatima32,

We understand you're being asked for your old passcode after signing into iCloud on your iPhone, and we'd be happy to help!

To get started, do you have two-factor authentication enabled on your Apple ID that you use with your iPhone? If so, we do want to let you know that this is a normal part of the flow that protects certain user data, such as the passwords, credit card numbers, and Messages stored in iCloud.

If you're unable to remember the the passcode requested, do you see an option to tap “Forgot”? If so, go ahead and select this option. From there you may see an option to approve from another device. This can be any other Apple device that is signed into your Apple ID and has been fully approved.

If you're unable to continue by approving from another device or by providing an old passcode, you should then see an option showing “Can’t Approve”. This would allow you to reset your end-to-end encrypted data on your account. Resetting your end-to-end encrypted data erases the items listed in this link, iCloud security overview - Apple under the “End-to-end encrypted data” section.

After resetting your data, you can continue using end-to-end encryption immediately, and resetting won't delete passwords and other data that already exists locally on your Mac computers or iOS devices.

We hope that helps.

Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2020 11:17 AM in response to Fatima32

Hi there Fatima32,

We understand you're being asked for your old passcode after signing into iCloud on your iPhone, and we'd be happy to help!

To get started, do you have two-factor authentication enabled on your Apple ID that you use with your iPhone? If so, we do want to let you know that this is a normal part of the flow that protects certain user data, such as the passwords, credit card numbers, and Messages stored in iCloud.

If you're unable to remember the the passcode requested, do you see an option to tap “Forgot”? If so, go ahead and select this option. From there you may see an option to approve from another device. This can be any other Apple device that is signed into your Apple ID and has been fully approved.

If you're unable to continue by approving from another device or by providing an old passcode, you should then see an option showing “Can’t Approve”. This would allow you to reset your end-to-end encrypted data on your account. Resetting your end-to-end encrypted data erases the items listed in this link, iCloud security overview - Apple under the “End-to-end encrypted data” section.

After resetting your data, you can continue using end-to-end encryption immediately, and resetting won't delete passwords and other data that already exists locally on your Mac computers or iOS devices.

We hope that helps.

Take care!

Apple ID is asking for old passcode to finish setting up phone but don’t remember 

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.