You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restoring new iphone SE (classic) from iphone 4

restoring new iphone SE (classic) from iphone 4 when imac with itunes has yosemite 10.10.5 and

I bought iPhone SE classic from ebay. New in box and shrink wrapped. When I first got it, I restored from iPhone 4 iTunes backup, worked great, everything transferred over. Then, before I had a chance to activate, it downloaded an update. I asked Verizon how to transfer data that came in between the transfer and download. Verizon support said I could restore it again. Bad idea. The phone went into stuck mode, I had to go to Genius Bar to get it unstuck. Genius Bar asked what software version the phone came with, I told them what I thought, but when they returned the phone it had the most recent version of software. Now iTunes won't recognize it, but I can't update iTunes because I have Yosemite 10.10.5 on a 2007 iMac.

How can I restore all the settings and data from the iPhone 4 again which included email, music, etc.? I have backups of iPhone 4 on iTunes on hard drive and also in iCloud.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 6:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 6:44 PM

OS X Yosemite, introduced by Apple in 2014, is too old to support an iTunes version capable of communicating to current iPhones.

You may be able to restore the old iPhone’s iCloud backup to the “new” iPhone. Restoring an iTunes backup requires a later version of Mac’s operating system and iTunes.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2020 6:44 PM in response to lillethjohnson

OS X Yosemite, introduced by Apple in 2014, is too old to support an iTunes version capable of communicating to current iPhones.

You may be able to restore the old iPhone’s iCloud backup to the “new” iPhone. Restoring an iTunes backup requires a later version of Mac’s operating system and iTunes.

restoring new iphone SE (classic) from iphone 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.