You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 16-inch with MacOS 11.1 unable to detect display correctly and set screen resolution

Since updating the MacBook pro from MacOS 11.01 to MacOS 11.1, MacBook Pro 16-inch (2019) is not able to correctly detect the LG 43UN700-B 4K Monitor. When attached the screen resolution on the external display scales down to 1080p or 720p or 1280p randomly on each attempt to connect the display. The display connected via USB C cable. Everything seemed to work well before. Even tried resetting the NVRAM / PRAM and SMC. Nothing seems to work.

Any similar occurrences? Appreciate your support.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 9:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 2:25 AM

It seems this has a workaround. You can go to the On-Screen Controls on the Monitor and downgrade the DisplayPort version to 1.2; once you do that you'll be able to get up to 4K with 60Hz refresh rate. Only the display will not be correctly identified, but it works just fine.

I found this workaround from other thread in Apple Discussions (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252174979?answerId=254142480022#254142480022).

Hope they (Apple) resolve this issue soon!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2020 2:25 AM in response to water_vapor

It seems this has a workaround. You can go to the On-Screen Controls on the Monitor and downgrade the DisplayPort version to 1.2; once you do that you'll be able to get up to 4K with 60Hz refresh rate. Only the display will not be correctly identified, but it works just fine.

I found this workaround from other thread in Apple Discussions (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252174979?answerId=254142480022#254142480022).

Hope they (Apple) resolve this issue soon!

Dec 19, 2020 1:44 AM in response to hari_ls

I have exactly the same setup. The monitor no longer works at USB-C or DisplayPort; all downstream USB ports stopped working too. You can use the HDMI ports to get 4K@30Hz if you can tolerate the low refresh rate (with USB-C you can also get 4K@30Hz but with very low probability). I have made a TM backup and downgraded to 10.15.7 (data recovered using migrate assistant), most softwares worked fine, though I had to refresh some binaries from Homebrew. Downgrading to 11.0.1 seems to be very hard: it is impossible to download the installer from official sources, and the installers (both 20B29 and 20B50) I found with correct shasums never worked (strange errors when creating install media, installer app won't open).

I've tried examining/overriding the EDID, changing settings with SwitchResX, connecting to HDMI and then USB-C (suggested by other posts), but none of them worked.

MacBook Pro 16-inch with MacOS 11.1 unable to detect display correctly and set screen resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.