You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error messages when updating iPad from iOS 11.4 to iPad OS 14.2

Hello,

I have been trying to update an iPad 6th Generation (Wi-Fi + Cellular) 32GB from iOS 11.4 to iPad OS 14.2 but I am getting lots of error messages. First, I tried updating with iTunes three times and each time I get the error code 4000. The last time, I made sure the iPad did not go to sleep in the middle. Then, I connected to Wi-Fi and tried over the air. The first time, I got the error that the install failed and it couldn't install iPad OS 14.2. I restarted the iPad and tried again, getting the same result. The last time I tried I checked the storage space which has only 10GB in use. I had read online to delete the downloaded update and try again (from the Storage area) but it did not show up in the list of things taking up space on the iPad, even after waiting a while. I am out of ideas and am hoping someone can please help?

Thank you for your time.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 6:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 7:02 PM

That is an iTunes and Windows error. There is no way to correct that right now until Apple updates iTunes. Until then a workaround is to temporarily remove the passcode from the iPad you are trying to update. After you update you can put it back on. The other way is to update the device over the air. However, I don't think you can make the jump from 11.4 to 14.2 over the air, it needs to be iTunes.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 12, 2020 7:02 PM in response to my_grandma_needs_help

That is an iTunes and Windows error. There is no way to correct that right now until Apple updates iTunes. Until then a workaround is to temporarily remove the passcode from the iPad you are trying to update. After you update you can put it back on. The other way is to update the device over the air. However, I don't think you can make the jump from 11.4 to 14.2 over the air, it needs to be iTunes.

Error messages when updating iPad from iOS 11.4 to iPad OS 14.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.