You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes does not recognize my iphone, but iPhoto does...

Clearly not a question of the cable or iOS versions. Using the s/w versions below:

MacOS: High sierra 10.13.6

iTunes: 12.8.2.3

Iphone 6s: version 14.2

iPhoto: version 3.0

I've tried rebooting everything, new cable, and I'm not sure I can upgrade OS on this iMac - I got it around 2006, but it still works great. iMac system information shows iphone connected to the USB port, and I can see it in iPhoto, but it does not show in iTunes or as an external device in Finder. Any ideas?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 4:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 8:56 AM

It is supposed to patch iTunes to allow it to communicate with devices that have launched since that version of iTunes was released. In days of old each new model meant a new build of iTunes with updated drivers but that stopped with the release of Mojave. The updater should run automatically, but this method has worked to run it manually when that doesn't happen. Since it hasn't helped the other thing you could try is reinstalling iTunes 12.8.2.3 while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 11, 2020 8:56 AM in response to tcbailey67

It is supposed to patch iTunes to allow it to communicate with devices that have launched since that version of iTunes was released. In days of old each new model meant a new build of iTunes with updated drivers but that stopped with the release of Mojave. The updater should run automatically, but this method has worked to run it manually when that doesn't happen. Since it hasn't helped the other thing you could try is reinstalling iTunes 12.8.2.3 while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

Dec 11, 2020 5:43 AM in response to tcbailey67

In Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

tt2

Itunes does not recognize my iphone, but iPhoto does...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.