You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error: Content relocation could not be completed

I recently bought a new external SSD and want to relocate my current Logic sound library to it, I currently have the sound library on a separate external SATA drive.

When I select "Relocate Sound Library..." under the Logic Pro menu and choose either my new external SSD or my internal hard drive I'm immediately given the error:

"Error: Content relocation could not be completed"

I've checked LogicProHelp and it seems others are experiencing the same issue but haven't been able to solve it. I have tried everything suggest there including:

-Reseting preferences via Logic menu

-Deleting preferences via user library files

-Allowing "Full Disk Access" to Logic Pro

-Deleting Logic Pro app and re-downloading from the App Store

I am currently on Big Sur 11.0.1 and Logic 10.6.0. Has anybody else experienced this issue or solved it?

Thank you

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 6:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 6:53 PM

Managed to solve this, here's the steps I took.

1. Download AppCleaner (http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/) and put Logic Pro on it. Not to worry, this will keep your user made loops and presets.
  2. Re-download Logic Pro from the App Store.
  3. I had my library on an older external drive, rename it to anything other than "Library" so that when you boot up Logic it won't be able to find it but you'll still have the 80GB of sounds. I used "1Library".
  4. Boot up Logic Pro and install just the essential sounds on your main HD, around 1.2GB.
  5. Now you should be able to relocate the drive using the Sound Library Manager. Move the 1.2GB to the external drive.
  6. After done moving, quit Logic Pro.
  7. The new essential sounds should create a new folder name "Library". Rename the old "1Library" folder back to "Library", this should overwrite the new essential sounds library with your 80GB but keep the link from Logic.

I understand some people had issues with their sound libraries not saying "Installed" using this method. Mine are all showing as "Installed" and working as if I relocated the library via the Sound Library Manager.

Good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 7, 2020 6:53 PM in response to duugee_

Managed to solve this, here's the steps I took.

1. Download AppCleaner (http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/) and put Logic Pro on it. Not to worry, this will keep your user made loops and presets.
  2. Re-download Logic Pro from the App Store.
  3. I had my library on an older external drive, rename it to anything other than "Library" so that when you boot up Logic it won't be able to find it but you'll still have the 80GB of sounds. I used "1Library".
  4. Boot up Logic Pro and install just the essential sounds on your main HD, around 1.2GB.
  5. Now you should be able to relocate the drive using the Sound Library Manager. Move the 1.2GB to the external drive.
  6. After done moving, quit Logic Pro.
  7. The new essential sounds should create a new folder name "Library". Rename the old "1Library" folder back to "Library", this should overwrite the new essential sounds library with your 80GB but keep the link from Logic.

I understand some people had issues with their sound libraries not saying "Installed" using this method. Mine are all showing as "Installed" and working as if I relocated the library via the Sound Library Manager.

Good luck.

Error: Content relocation could not be completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.