You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sim Card

Can I buy a new SIM card AT&T and just transfer the information from old phone SIM card, same carrier?

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 12:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 8:34 AM

When you purchased your new phone, did you purchase an AT&T version? If so, it would have come with a new SIM. All you have to do is contact AT&T top activate it. You can also use the old SIM as you indicated, however it is not really necessary, unless you want 5G access. At that point, you would need a new SIM, again, which should have come with your phone, unless you purchased a SIM free phone. Much easier to purchase the AT&T version of the phone from Apple. It is unlocked, contains an AT&T SIM, and activates when you activate the new phone.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2020 8:34 AM in response to gs93

When you purchased your new phone, did you purchase an AT&T version? If so, it would have come with a new SIM. All you have to do is contact AT&T top activate it. You can also use the old SIM as you indicated, however it is not really necessary, unless you want 5G access. At that point, you would need a new SIM, again, which should have come with your phone, unless you purchased a SIM free phone. Much easier to purchase the AT&T version of the phone from Apple. It is unlocked, contains an AT&T SIM, and activates when you activate the new phone.

Dec 2, 2020 7:13 PM in response to KiltedTim

Appreciate input, but has nothing to do with my question. There is information on the SIM card, but no, not my personal data, video, pictures, etc. The information in the SIM card is that of the carrier, I’d number, etc., nothing at all of what I have stored in the phone, that actually stays in your memory storage of your phone. I also didn’t say I lost the card, so let me simplify it. I have an iPhone with AT&T as my carrier. I have upgraded my phone and transferred my data, pictures, contacts, messages,etc. I know I can take my old card and insert it into the new phone and I’m done., which I did, but following Apples advice to get a new SIM card and activate it. Also AT&T charges $5.00 for SIM card kit, you get 3 cards and use whichever one fits the phone. Later this evening my carrier tell you step by step on how to activate new card, so now that my personal data is in the new phone I will visit carrier and if I can do it I will, or I may purchase and have them activate. Thank you for your help.

Dec 3, 2020 7:51 AM in response to KiltedTim

Kilted Tim, how old are you! You’ve been with AT&T since the dawn of time, wow phones go that far back, who knew! I do not have a prepaid plan and the answers I have gotten so far have nothing to do with loosing a card, or paying for a card!!! So if you can’t address the question don’t give irrelevant answers.

Sim Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.