You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur slow startup time

Since upgrading to Big Sur the startup up my 2017 iMac has increased massively. It takes at least 4mins to get to a semi useable state, 20 secs of that is a black screen just before presenting the desktop, compared to about 90 secs previously. I've not added any other startup items since upgrading. Anyone else have similar issues?

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 2:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 3:30 AM

I'm having the same problem. Before upgrading to Big Sur my Mac was performing great. After the upgrade I'm having over 5 minute boot time and I only get the usual recommendation, remove apps from auto starting etc. But with the same programs it was performing flawless.

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 5, 2020 8:05 PM in response to Dizzypole

I upgraded my partner's 2018 Mac Mini to Big Sur, and startup time is now around 4 minutes. I booted in verbose mode, and I can see that IOKit Daemon (kernelmanagerd) is stalling for IOHIDInterface, three times in a row, each time is 60 seconds.

That explains three minutes of the startup delay, but I don't know what to do next to resolve the issue.

Big Sur slow startup time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.