You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

random stuff popping up in home folder??

A few days ago I cleared out a bunch of cache files from my MacBook that I didn't think I needed. It seemed to free up some space, which is good, but now I have these documents that say 'bash sessions' showing up in my home folder:

Does anyone know what these are or how I can get rid of them?

(I'm not sure if me clearing my cache is directly related to this or not, but I thought it was worth mentioning)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 2:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2020 5:39 PM

You've enabled the Finder to show hidden items (the ghosted items which are perfectly normal). It is best to keep the hidden items hidden since a user doesn't normally need to worry about those hidden items. To toggle the visibility of the hidden files use the key combination: Command + Shift + . (that character of the combination is a dot/period) in the Finder.

Don't go deleting items even if they are cache items as it could inadvertently affect the respective app. Most web browsers include the ability to clean the cache from within the browsers' privacy settings. If you want to delete cache files safely, then boot into Safe Mode which automatically delete temp & cache system files in addition to other things.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 28, 2020 5:39 PM in response to ultra-violet

You've enabled the Finder to show hidden items (the ghosted items which are perfectly normal). It is best to keep the hidden items hidden since a user doesn't normally need to worry about those hidden items. To toggle the visibility of the hidden files use the key combination: Command + Shift + . (that character of the combination is a dot/period) in the Finder.

Don't go deleting items even if they are cache items as it could inadvertently affect the respective app. Most web browsers include the ability to clean the cache from within the browsers' privacy settings. If you want to delete cache files safely, then boot into Safe Mode which automatically delete temp & cache system files in addition to other things.

Nov 29, 2020 11:30 AM in response to ultra-violet

FYI, the macOS Storage Management feature is known to be inaccurate in its reporting so don't concern yourself with the numbers for each storage category. The only thing that really matters is the overall amount of free storage space. You should not need to be deleting a cache unless you are experiencing a problem with a particular app or are addressing a privacy issue.

random stuff popping up in home folder??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.