You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location Services keeps switching off every time i restart my MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.0.1

title says it all.

has anyone experienced the same issue? or anyone know how to fix that?

i tried resetting NVRAM

i tried restarting with and without Reopening Apps

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 7:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 5:15 AM

Hi A.Bss,

Thanks for giving those steps a try.

Since this is occurring on multiple accounts, lets try to reinstall macOS Big Sur and see if the situation improves:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

5 replies

Nov 28, 2020 2:10 PM in response to A.Bss

Hi A.Bss,

It sounds like you're having trouble with location services and we can help.

Do you have a profile installed that might be controlling this?

Try enabling location for another user as a test and see if that also turns off during restart:

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know what happens.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Dec 12, 2020 9:14 AM in response to SnickZ.

Hi, SnickZ.

Thank you for the reply.

I have followed all the instructions in that link to reinstall macOS.

Unfortunately, I was introduced with a whole bunch of problems along the way.

Firstly, Big Sur is currently restricted from from being installed on my MacBook Model because the initial release 11.0.1 has a bug that corrupts the I/O board's firmware in some 2013/2014 MacBook Pro's. So now when trying to install Big Sur i am presented with the following error message "Installation of macOS could not continue. Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later."

I have formatted my SSD before attempting to reinstall macOS and being greeted with that error message meant i can not reinstall. Anything.

After following the instructions here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204323 i was at least able to install OS X Maverics 10.9.5 which i then Updated to Catalina 10.15.7

I am currently using Catalina 10.15.7 but am unable to update to 11.0.1

I have since been introduced a bunch of iCloud bugs when attempting to sync my data.

Keychain not syncing, iMessages not Syncing, iCloud drive being stuck downloading 2 items, Photos stuck Curating Photos and Layouts.

Anyway, I will simply have to wait for Big Sur 11.1 which thankfully will not be restricted on 2013/2014 MacBook Pro's

Then i will attempt to clean install macOS.

At least Location Services works properly again.

Location Services keeps switching off every time i restart my MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.0.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.