You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Untitled" SD Cards don't show in Finder's sidebar since Upgrade to Big Sur

Since I've upgraded to Big Sur, Finder doesn't show unnamed SD Cards in the Finder sidebar anymore.

The cards used to be shown as "Untitled" in previous OS versions.

The cards are mounted fine and they're shown by alternative file managers, such as Forklift.

Renaming the cards in Disk utility prevents the issue, but only until the cards are re-formatted in camera.

This is really annoying, and Apple should be able to easily fix this, but I can't even find where to send an official bug report.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 20, 2020 6:43 AM

10 replies

Nov 20, 2020 7:31 AM in response to gxxr

gxxr wrote:

Since I've upgraded to Big Sur, Finder doesn't show unnamed SD Cards in the Finder sidebar anymore.
The cards used to be shown as "Untitled" in previous OS versions.

The cards are mounted fine and they're shown by alternative file managers, such as Forklift.
Renaming the cards in Disk utility prevents the issue, but only until the cards are re-formatted in camera.

Thanks, but that's not a very logical thing to verify since this only happens with unnamed SD cards and doesn't happen when SD cards have been named.
If the Finder preferences (which I have checked many times) were messed up, no SD card would show up.

Name your SD card if that what it takes to resolve your issue (?)

Uninstalling third party apps is one way forward...To trouble shoot further you can:

—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache,  etc.  Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test as caches get rebuilt.

In Safe mode third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled, it removes malware, etc hampering smooth operation, however a  reboot will put it back to normal mode.

This test will tell you if third party interference; extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204443

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

One off anomalies like yours may not be easily resolved—typically re-installing the macOS on top of your existing macOS is one way.

Looking for third party software is another way forward if your issue continues.

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Nov 20, 2020 6:48 AM in response to gxxr

In the Finder sidebar, have you clicked Locations to expand mounted devices entries? This would also be dependent upon the Finder's Preferences : General : Show these Items on the Desktop: all selected, and Sidebar Locations items being selected too.

I just inserted a 16 GB SDHC card into my 2014 MacBook Air running Big Sur, and it shows up in my Finder Locations sidebar.

"Untitled" SD Cards don't show in Finder's sidebar since Upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.