You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safe shutdown of Photo Stream

Hi,

I used to have the basic 5Gb free iCloud account with both iCloud Photos and Photo Stream toggled on in my iOS 14.2 iPhone 7. Needless to say, my iCloud space was packed and most local photos not uploaded. Photo Stream folder hasn't been visible since the iCloud Photos activation.

Now I swithced to the 50Gb iCloud plan and my Photos content is uploading. Since I have no Photo Stream folder, I can't tell whether it's only camera roll photos uploading or Photo Stream as well.

I tried to toggle off Photo Stream in Settings (upload still underway) but I get a warning that photos added by this function will be deleted from iPhone. Can I confirm that safely?

iPhone 7

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 9:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2020 10:24 AM

If you wish to save the photos from your Photo Stream, it's best to toggle on (not off) - My Photo Stream - Apple Support.

5 replies

Nov 19, 2020 7:11 PM in response to zinacef

I don't want to lose any of my photos but I thought iCloud Photos would save them all.

Does your answer mean that iCloud Photos saves all photos except the most recent 1000 ones?

I just wanted to point out that Photo Stream had been toggled on since my iPhone's purchase and afterwards when iCloud Photos showed up, I switched it on (while still having the free 5Gb plan) witout switching off Photo Stream. So since that moment on, there has been no longer a visual way to tell the difference.

Nov 20, 2020 12:22 PM in response to yiftb

yiftb wrote:

I don't want to lose any of my photos but I thought iCloud Photos would save them all.

Does your answer mean that iCloud Photos saves all photos except the most recent 1000 ones?

I just wanted to point out that Photo Stream had been toggled on since my iPhone's purchase and afterwards when iCloud Photos showed up, I switched it on (while still having the free 5Gb plan) witout switching off Photo Stream. So since that moment on, there has been no longer a visual way to tell the difference.

No, it uploads all photos to iCloud.

Safe shutdown of Photo Stream

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.