You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wake from sleep delay in Big Sur

Is there anybody having the same problem? There is so much delay when the device is trying to wake from sleep.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 2:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 6:16 PM

I'm having the same issue but have discovered what makes it happen. It happens when the display shuts off and then tries to turn back on while the discrete GPU is active.

If you have automatic graphic switching turned OFF, the discrete GPU is always active, if you have it turned ON, the discrete GPU will only be active when an app requires it , like Photos for example.

Test by setting Automatic Graphic switching on, then in the Battery Prefs set turn screen off to 1 min. and don't have any apps running, wait for a minute then, screen goes off,, hit a key and it wakes.

Now repeat - but this time launch Photos, which activates the discrete GPU wait till screen goes dark and hit key to wake and you have to wait for 7-10 seconds now.

I can make this happen all the time.

I'm running; MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) Discrete GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Curious if new MacBook Pro with new Discrete GPU has same issue.

As for how to fix this beats me, had a similar issue with previous Mac OS except that time when it woke the color saturation of the screen changed Go figure...

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 3, 2020 6:16 PM in response to tomasklement

I'm having the same issue but have discovered what makes it happen. It happens when the display shuts off and then tries to turn back on while the discrete GPU is active.

If you have automatic graphic switching turned OFF, the discrete GPU is always active, if you have it turned ON, the discrete GPU will only be active when an app requires it , like Photos for example.

Test by setting Automatic Graphic switching on, then in the Battery Prefs set turn screen off to 1 min. and don't have any apps running, wait for a minute then, screen goes off,, hit a key and it wakes.

Now repeat - but this time launch Photos, which activates the discrete GPU wait till screen goes dark and hit key to wake and you have to wait for 7-10 seconds now.

I can make this happen all the time.

I'm running; MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) Discrete GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

Curious if new MacBook Pro with new Discrete GPU has same issue.

As for how to fix this beats me, had a similar issue with previous Mac OS except that time when it woke the color saturation of the screen changed Go figure...

Dec 22, 2020 2:31 AM in response to serhaturan

Still painfully slow for me even after the 11.1 update, and it can sometimes take up to a minute to start from opening the lid. This was never an issue with Catalina.

I also get occasional "freezes" where all that you can do is waggle the mouse and watch the beachball-of-doom, but then after a minute or so it all just catches up (usually with all the keystrokes and clicks that I had done whilst it is frozen).

(MBA 13" early 2015 and MBP 13" Retina mid-2015)

Jan 20, 2021 4:17 AM in response to Graham Guy

Still same problem here also, even with 11.1 installed. It takes more than a minute for my iMac to become useable at all. Once it gets going all is fine, but the delay is getting quite annoying.

Still haven't installed Big Sur on my MacBook Pro for this reason.

(iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, 32GB, 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon R9 M390 2 GB)

Jan 29, 2021 6:29 AM in response to serhaturan

I have the same problem (as of 1/29/2021). I am on a Mac Pro 2019 with Big Sur 11.1 and the LG UltraFine Display (27 inch). The only applications I leave open over night are Safari, Messages and Mail. Energy Saver settings are below.

Turn display off after: 1 Hour

Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when display is off = not checked / OFF

Wake for Network Access = checked / ON

Start up automatically after power failure = not checked / OFF

Enable Power Nap = checked / ON

When the Mac is asleep I hit the magic mouse to turn on the display so I can enter my login password. The time between the moment I hit the mouse and the screen activates is ten to twenty seconds.

This is probably something else but I also noticed that as the wake time has gotten longer it also takes longer to load Safari, Messages and Mail once my password is accepted. That is now maybe 30 seconds.

The times are not the end of the world, but annoying in that they used to be closer to zero so something changed.

Wake from sleep delay in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.