You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage not receiving notifications since updating to iOS 14

Good evening...since updating to iOS 14 I’d notice occasionally not getting alerted to a new message in iMessage. Since updating to 14.2 it’s become more noticeable. I usually also get alerted on my iPad running iPadOS 14.2 and they are not coming there either. I have to check iMessages constantly to see if a message came in. I’ve checked do not disturb is not turned on. It happens with iMessage messages as well as sms messages. Anyone else experiencing this?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 2:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 11:57 AM

I’m experiencing the same thing! It’s becoming more frequent. At first I thought I was getting the notification and forgetting about it because it only happened once or twice a day but now it’s happening between every 4th or 5th message. If you have “read receipts” on, it tells the person that you read the message you didn’t get a notification for as soon as you got it. I did the “Erase all content and settings” reset because I couldn’t figure out how to do a factory reset and it didn’t work. I’m also noticing new problems pop up. My phone keeps dropping Bluetooth connections to my Apple watch, AirPods, and Alexa devices. I’ve dropped a couple calls that shouldn’t have been dropped. And my phone sometimes works better with a one bar signal than it does on WiFi even though when I test my WiFi it says it’s working at it’s usual speed. This has happened on three different WiFi networks so I know it’s not just my WiFi at home. I’m very tired of constantly checking my phone in fear of missing an important text and my contacts are getting annoyed with the dropped calls. If this doesn’t get fixed soon, I’m going to have to switch to an Android phone because 90% of communication for my job is through iMessage and I can’t do my job like this.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 12, 2020 11:57 AM in response to Sebb5342

I’m experiencing the same thing! It’s becoming more frequent. At first I thought I was getting the notification and forgetting about it because it only happened once or twice a day but now it’s happening between every 4th or 5th message. If you have “read receipts” on, it tells the person that you read the message you didn’t get a notification for as soon as you got it. I did the “Erase all content and settings” reset because I couldn’t figure out how to do a factory reset and it didn’t work. I’m also noticing new problems pop up. My phone keeps dropping Bluetooth connections to my Apple watch, AirPods, and Alexa devices. I’ve dropped a couple calls that shouldn’t have been dropped. And my phone sometimes works better with a one bar signal than it does on WiFi even though when I test my WiFi it says it’s working at it’s usual speed. This has happened on three different WiFi networks so I know it’s not just my WiFi at home. I’m very tired of constantly checking my phone in fear of missing an important text and my contacts are getting annoyed with the dropped calls. If this doesn’t get fixed soon, I’m going to have to switch to an Android phone because 90% of communication for my job is through iMessage and I can’t do my job like this.

Nov 11, 2020 1:09 PM in response to Watrat

This is happening to me too. Called apple support 3 times and nothing they said helped me. Restarted my phone 10+ times, did a reset, played with settings, nothing. I know it’s because of the new update and it’s very frustrating. An hour will pass and I’ll get a text that actually pops up saying did you get my text? And sure enough they had texted me an hour ago but I never got an alert. Somebody help please! So very frustrating

Jan 14, 2021 2:57 PM in response to Watrat

I discovered this problem shortly after updating to iOS 14.3 about a month ago. I was at the grocery of all places, and noticed new message badges but no notifications. I work freelance, so getting timely notifications is very important.

Here's how I fixed it, and it's been a permanent fix:

I first went to Settings | Notifications | Messages, and found that Allow Notifications was inexplicably turned Off. So, fix #1 was simply to turn Allow Notifications back On. In my case, I also have Lock Screen, Notification Center, and Banners all switched On. Then, I went to Settings | Sounds and Haptics, where I found that the sounds for Text Tone were also turned off. Switch it back On by choosing a Text Tone.

Obviously, I didn't toggle any of these things off, the update caused it. I'm not sure how long it took me to notice it, either, but I don't think it was more than a day or two at most. Also, the iOS 14.3 update would not go OTA on my iPhone 11 with 128GB of storage, and plenty of room for the update. I had to do it through iTunes. I tried OTA multiple times, after reboots, clearing all of the open apps, etc., but nothing worked OTA.

I hope this is helpful. I was relieved that it was just a couple of settings to fix it, as I've read that many people are waiting on Apple to fix it in an upcoming iOS update. I've noticed that the current is 14.3, and I've been expecting a 14.3.1 release, but nothing yet.

imessage not receiving notifications since updating to iOS 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.