You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microphone only working for Safari - no other apps

Hey guys,

for some reason my microphone only works for Safari but no other apps.

I already tried restarting, resetting the input audio setting via terminal and also tried third party software. Nothing helps. Seems like Safari is somehow blocking any other app from accessing the microphone. Even in the system preferences the microphone is not working, only in Safari.

I couldn't find anything online so hoping that you can help me.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Sascha

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 8:12 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Nov 3, 2020 10:13 AM in response to sascha3

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 3, 2020 8:36 AM in response to Wilddrums

Hi WD, thanks for the quick answer.

In "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone" I see the different programs listed and a checkmark next to it. So should be fine on that side.

"Even in the system preferences the microphone is not working" --> What I meant is that when I go to System Preferences > Sound > Input, at the bottom it shows the input level. And even this input level doesn't show any movements. But still the microphone works in Safari.

I hope this helps and you have an idea what it could be.

Thank you already,

Sascha

Nov 3, 2020 9:22 AM in response to Wilddrums

Hey WD,

the output is actually totally fine. It's only the input that doesn't seem to work, except in Safari where it does work.

Yes, it has been like this for about a month now. I restarted my laptop often and also left it turned off over night.

I just did the SMC reset and the microphone is still not working unfortunately. Do you have any other ideas?

Thank you,

Sascha

Nov 3, 2020 9:29 AM in response to sascha3

I'm just going through the basics...

Did you really tried this?: "Try to power off the computer completely, unplug, wait, plug back, start the computer. Any change?

". Unplug from power!

Any third party software/application installed? Remember of any change before the problem?

You may get and run Etrecheck (Free on the App Store) and post the report here.

WD

Nov 3, 2020 9:51 AM in response to sascha3

sascha3 wrote:

Hey guys,

for some reason my microphone only works for Safari but no other apps.

I already tried restarting, resetting the input audio setting via terminal and also tried third party software. Nothing helps. Seems like Safari is somehow blocking any other app from accessing the microphone. Even in the system preferences the microphone is not working, only in Safari.

I couldn't find anything online so hoping that you can help me.
Thanks a lot for your help,
Sascha

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus

Microphone only working for Safari - no other apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.