You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime Crashes when Newer Device on 14.1 is connected to older device

Good day all.

I have family who are using an iPad to call FaceTime. They are on iOS 14.1. We are using an older iPad which is on iOS 12.4.8. Before they updated to iOS 14, we were able to have FaceTime calls without issue. Now, after they have updated to iOS 14 (and subsequently iOS 14.1), our FaceTime calls seem to crash after about 7-10 minutes.

Our screen (on the older iPad) seems to go black for a second and then go to the home screen with the app icons. We see a green bar at the top that says "click to return to FaceTime". Then, the call just drops.

This occurs every 10 minutes into a call. We know we're not the only ones experiencing this - other family members around the world are having the same issue (as they are on older devices and cannot update to iOS 14).

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 3:07 AM

Good news, I can confirm that this issue has now been fixed in the latest iPadOS 14.4. I just downloaded the public beta iPadOS 14.4 release candidate and FaceTime is working flawlessly for hours without interruption.

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 6, 2020 5:40 AM in response to PocketSevens

Hello PocketSevens,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that while on FaceTime calls using different devices with different software versions the calls drop within 7-10 minutes. If you have completed the steps listed in this article and the issue persists, you may need to contact Apple Support for additional assistance.

If you can't make a FaceTime call on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Get Support 

Best Regards.

Nov 8, 2020 7:13 AM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

Hi Alwayswantingtohelp1.

Thank you for your reply and for the link. I can confirm that all of the troubleshooting items listed in the post have been ruled out. Both parties have adequate Wi-Fi and, during the FaceTime calls, no other activity was occurring on the internet.

Before my family upgraded to iOS 14, we were able to have FaceTime calls without issue - no interruption, poor connection or dropped calls. After they upgraded to iOS 14 (and subsequently iOS 14.1), FaceTime calls have been an issue. Now that iOS 14.2 is out, we will retry and let you know if the issue persists or not.

Thanks.

Dec 30, 2020 9:29 PM in response to PocketSevens

Same issue for me too, my parents are using older ipads and iphones 12.x versions and I'm on 14.2 version. Whenever we have facetime calls it causes the same issue after about 7-10 mins. We've checked all wifi settings etc, infact this even happens if the devices are on 4g networks, so nothing to do with wifi. Very clearly a bug, it's surprising Apple is taking so long to fix it.

FaceTime Crashes when Newer Device on 14.1 is connected to older device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.