You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not backup my phone to my macbookpro

This is the message I get when I try to backup my phone

Could not back up the iPhone because not enough free space is available on this Mac.

I do have more than 500gb available so it should not be the issue?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 31, 2020 4:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 1:12 AM

That’s what I suspected. There’s a bug in iOS that misreports the size of Heath data. Apple is aware of it and hopefully will issue a fix soon. If you turn off backup encryption you can back up to your computer, because health data and passwords are not included in an unencrypted backup.

3 replies

Nov 1, 2020 2:39 PM in response to Citicen1

That error can mean you have permission problems on your drive, or you have some “helpful” software interfering. Do you have an antivirus, firewall, or app that claims to improve the performance of your Mac on it?

One other possibility: On the phone go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage and see if there are any apps that appear to be using a clearly wrong, large amount of storage.

Can not backup my phone to my macbookpro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.