You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You do not have permission to write to this folder

Hi Apple community!

I have been editing pdf's on preview and each and every time I try to save them they say one of the following

'You do not have permission to edit this document'

OR

'You do not have permission to write to this folder'

The PDF's are all downloaded from online and the folders have been created by me

I have checked all the file permissions for both the folders and the files all of them say 'You have permission to read and write' - so I am not too sure why it isn't allowing me to save anything

As for now I keep pressing save and open the file again and again until it lets me save and somehow it works after a lot of repeated saving but this is very time consuming and now these files have stopped saving completely - I am having to export them as pdf's again and save them under new names.

Please can someone help me with this, appreciate it!

MacBook

Posted on Oct 29, 2020 4:36 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Nov 2, 2020 5:18 PM in response to Queen12345

Hi Queen12345,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having an issue with editing PDFs in preview on your Mac. We're happy to help.

Based on the information in our guide here: Annotate a PDF in Preview on Mac you can't edit the text for a PDF in preview, yet you should be able to annotate and markup as expected.

We first recommend testing the issue when in safe mode. If needed, the steps here can help you boot your Mac to safe mode and check: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Should the issue continue, you can test editing with preview when in a new user account. You can use the steps here to create one and test: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

We hope the information helps.

Cheers!

You do not have permission to write to this folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.