You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Have an EFI lock when trying to boot in Command R

I somehow have an EFI lock when booting up Command R and I dont recall setting it up, how can I bypass? Its a 2017 iMac Catalina

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 12:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2020 4:42 PM

You will need to take the Mac to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them unlock it for you. You will need to provide valid proof of purchase which usually requires your name and system serial number plus a photo ID. It is best to contact them first to confirm exactly what paper work is acceptable for proof of purchase and identity.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 22, 2020 4:42 PM in response to michaelfromvestal

You will need to take the Mac to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to have them unlock it for you. You will need to provide valid proof of purchase which usually requires your name and system serial number plus a photo ID. It is best to contact them first to confirm exactly what paper work is acceptable for proof of purchase and identity.

Oct 21, 2020 4:28 PM in response to michaelfromvestal

I think only Apple can cure that if you have proof of purchase, but...

If you have FileVault turned on, you have two additional options to reset your user password. You can wait up to a minute on the user login screen for a prompt to show up that instructs you to press the power button to restart the Mac into Recovery mode. Follow the instructions to restart your computer, after which you should see a Reset Password window show up. 

The other option is to use the Recovery Key that you should have written down when you enabled FileVault. Let's be honest, most of us don't do that, but if you did you can enter the recovery key when asked after three failed login attempts. Be sure to use upper case letters and to enter the hyphens -- they're required. 

Any method we outlined is an effective way of regaining access to your account, or if your child forgot their password. Of course, if you can use this to get into your Mac, so can someone else who has access to your computer. You can prevent that from happening, you'll just need to be more proactive during setup with storing recovery keys and remembering your passwordHere's how to lock down your Mac.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/you-forgot-your-macs-password-heres-how-to-get-back-into-your-locked-down-computer/#:~:text=With%20your%20Mac%20turned%20off,up%20below%20the%20Apple%20logo.

Have an EFI lock when trying to boot in Command R

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.