You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aluminum Scratch/Mark Below Brand New iMac Display?

Hello! I just received my new 2020 27" iMac customized with a 1TB SSD. When I unboxed it, I noticed below the screen bezel where the display meets the aluminum housing that there's this rough area that sticks out and is reflecting the light. It's really noticeable, but so far seems to be cosmetic as it's not affecting the display.

Could this just be due to a bad display assembly process? Is there a recommended way to lessen the look of it? Or just deal with it the way that it is? It would be a hassle for me to return it as I ordered it customized online and the Apple Stores near me have limited availability.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 9:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 9:59 AM

It would be a hassle for me to return it as I ordered it customized online and the Apple Stores near me have limited availability.

I understand, but I would contact Apple anyway. Maybe they have a way to more quickly turn around a replacement. They may have some other option. Not asking gets nothing.

Anything you use to to mitigate scratches on anodized aluminum will make the problem ever so much worse.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2020 9:59 AM in response to billphan25

It would be a hassle for me to return it as I ordered it customized online and the Apple Stores near me have limited availability.

I understand, but I would contact Apple anyway. Maybe they have a way to more quickly turn around a replacement. They may have some other option. Not asking gets nothing.

Anything you use to to mitigate scratches on anodized aluminum will make the problem ever so much worse.

Aluminum Scratch/Mark Below Brand New iMac Display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.