You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I upgraded to Catalina and now I can't open a older version of word. It keeps directing me to upgrade office 365 which I have but the older version is separate. Any ideas how to access the older version?

I upgraded to Catalina and now I can't open a older version of word. It keeps directing me to upgrade office 365 which I have but the older version is separate. Any ideas how to access the older version?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 5:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 6:02 AM

Catalina only supports 64-bit applications, and only Office 2016 for Mac (64-bit version), the current subscription Microsoft 365, or the single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac are supported by Microsoft. Your Office documents are unaffected, and once you have installed the respective 64-bit Office applications, you can open/edit/save your MS documents are usual.

Office 2008 for Mac, Office 2011 for Mac, and 32-bit early versions of Office 2016 for Mac are no longer supported by Microsoft, and are incompatible with Catalina, so there will be no running your old Word application on your Catalina system.

See my recent post here for Microsoft, and LibreOffice options.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2020 6:02 AM in response to dale007buck

Catalina only supports 64-bit applications, and only Office 2016 for Mac (64-bit version), the current subscription Microsoft 365, or the single-purchase Office 2019 for Mac are supported by Microsoft. Your Office documents are unaffected, and once you have installed the respective 64-bit Office applications, you can open/edit/save your MS documents are usual.

Office 2008 for Mac, Office 2011 for Mac, and 32-bit early versions of Office 2016 for Mac are no longer supported by Microsoft, and are incompatible with Catalina, so there will be no running your old Word application on your Catalina system.

See my recent post here for Microsoft, and LibreOffice options.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.