You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac OS Mojave10.14.6 started repeatedly freezing up soon after startup. Is there a fix for this?

My Mac OS Mojave10.14.6 started repeatedly freezing up soon after startup. Is there a fix for this? I've tried a number of things after searching web for solutions (reset PRAM & NVRAM, booted into safe mode, reinstalled Mojave OS). Nothing has worked.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 7:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2020 10:01 AM

In the course of researching what was causing my Mac to lock up time after time within minutes after startup, I also noticed that Smart Mailboxes in Mail weren't filtering or retrieving emails correctly. In some cases no emails were retrieved for a Smart Folder and in other cases mail was only partially retrieved. So I searched for a solution to this problem and found this article:

https://www.macissues.com/2015/07/13/fix-mails-smart-mailboxes-not-working-properly/

I followed the steps laid out in the article and not only did it fix my Smart Mailbox problem, it also corrected the problem that was causing my Mac to lock up. The article informs that there are search processes and a search index that work to monitor changes on the Mac drive to enable better searches (e.g. - Spotlight search) and sometimes the search processes or the search index get corrupted, or something like that, which appears to be the source of the problem. The article gives steps to rebuild the search processes (note that the article refers to 'mdserver' files which should apparently be 'mdworker' files based on comments appended to the article. I followed the steps to rebuild the search processes and also to rebuild the search index and my problems with lock ups and Smart Mailboxes were resolved and overall response time on my Mac has greatly improved.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 16, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Glimpsis

In the course of researching what was causing my Mac to lock up time after time within minutes after startup, I also noticed that Smart Mailboxes in Mail weren't filtering or retrieving emails correctly. In some cases no emails were retrieved for a Smart Folder and in other cases mail was only partially retrieved. So I searched for a solution to this problem and found this article:

https://www.macissues.com/2015/07/13/fix-mails-smart-mailboxes-not-working-properly/

I followed the steps laid out in the article and not only did it fix my Smart Mailbox problem, it also corrected the problem that was causing my Mac to lock up. The article informs that there are search processes and a search index that work to monitor changes on the Mac drive to enable better searches (e.g. - Spotlight search) and sometimes the search processes or the search index get corrupted, or something like that, which appears to be the source of the problem. The article gives steps to rebuild the search processes (note that the article refers to 'mdserver' files which should apparently be 'mdworker' files based on comments appended to the article. I followed the steps to rebuild the search processes and also to rebuild the search index and my problems with lock ups and Smart Mailboxes were resolved and overall response time on my Mac has greatly improved.

Sep 26, 2020 11:34 PM in response to Glimpsis

I had a similar experience.

I installed the update and immediately my 21.5" (late 2013) iMac became unusable (beach balling on every mouse click; my Time Machine backup disk showed NO backups had been made; EtreCheck showed MAJOR issues; etc., etc.)

I spent several hours running Apple H/W diagnostics, booted into Recovery Mode and ran Disk Utility on both my Macintosh HD and Time Machine backup disks;. No H/W errors or disk errors were reported.

I then used Recovery Mode to reinstall my last Time Machine backup image just before I installed the last Security Update, and now everything is operating normally again.

I have NO third party S/W installed on my iMac -- I have no idea why this particular update "bricked" my system.

Sep 27, 2020 5:01 AM in response to William Tomcanin

Thanks for the response. My symptoms are a bit different in that my mouse pointer just freezes without warning. I haven't tried restoring from a backup yet, but I may have to try that. I also have run Disk Utility against my hard drive and found no errors. After I posted I remembered that I had installed Java on my Mac recently so I have since removed it without any improvement to my problem. I do recall some recent, supposedly routine, updates that were installed, but I think my problem existed before those update. I will try to review my update history and find what dates recent updates occurred. Thanks again!

My Mac OS Mojave10.14.6 started repeatedly freezing up soon after startup. Is there a fix for this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.