You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage: Cannot UNPIN a conversation in iMessage - the message keeps "re-pinning" itself!

I pinned a conversation in iMessage (IOS 14 and IOS 14.and same in 14.01) and later UNpinned it. After I UNpin it it is fine for a while then an hour later it is PINNED again. I cannot UNpin it permanently. It's showing up as pinned on my iPad and on my iPhone. Yes, I have tried all 3 methods to unpin it. and it only remains UNpinned for a short time.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 8:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 5:51 AM

UPDATE! OK, by turning off MESSAGES THEN TURNING IT BACK ON under settings/icloud/messages on my iPhone and iPad that seems to have cleared it permanently. Not sure what if anything I lost from the cloud by doing that but it seems to have fixed it.

3 replies

Sep 26, 2020 2:51 AM in response to MisterEdF

Similar issues here. The answer appears to be to Unpin on all your iCloud-enabled devices (including your Mac!) at the same time - effectively a manual synchronisation.

PIN status seems to be synced via iCloud if you have iCloud messaging turned on. However the PIN status also seems NOT to have a "last changed" date/time so if multiple devices try to sync in quick succession they could theoretically all superimpose their own version of the PIN status, ending randomly with the status from whichever device happened to be last to sync. This is a working hypothesis though, but so far it seems to work every time.

Sep 26, 2020 5:42 AM in response to fortyninthnet

I have an iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch (no Mac, using a PC). Don't think the watch has that feature and I couldn't find anything about messages at iCloud.com on PC so that was out. I unpinned on both devices at the exact same time but it still came back. Next thing I did was to DISABLE iMessage in iCloud settings on my 2 devices and that seemed to work (other than the fact my messages no longer get saved in iCloud). So you are correct that it is a cloud issue. Whether that is a "feature" or a "bug" will have to be determined. :)

Thank you, it was driving me crazy!

Ed

iMessage: Cannot UNPIN a conversation in iMessage - the message keeps "re-pinning" itself!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.