You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) macOS majove 12.14.6

my MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) have to upgrade to catalina, If I upgrade, what about last installed application. have I reinstall all of them?

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 11:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 12:25 PM

I understand you are considering upgrading macOS and are concerned about the possibility of having to reinstall all your existing applications.

The short answer is no, but the longer answer is that really old, 32-bit applications will no longer run at all and you would need to purchase new and upgraded versions of them, or find suitable alternatives. This appears to be a primary concern to users of Microsoft products, but any products of similar vintage may be affected.

This is what I do, and what I recommend: Upgrading macOS without fear - Apple Community. But as long as you read and follow Apple's macOS upgrade instructions (which include the necessity of creating a backup) you have nothing to be concerned about.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2020 12:25 PM in response to Josh650

I understand you are considering upgrading macOS and are concerned about the possibility of having to reinstall all your existing applications.

The short answer is no, but the longer answer is that really old, 32-bit applications will no longer run at all and you would need to purchase new and upgraded versions of them, or find suitable alternatives. This appears to be a primary concern to users of Microsoft products, but any products of similar vintage may be affected.

This is what I do, and what I recommend: Upgrading macOS without fear - Apple Community. But as long as you read and follow Apple's macOS upgrade instructions (which include the necessity of creating a backup) you have nothing to be concerned about.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) macOS majove 12.14.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.