You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question about iCloud backups?

Does iCloud backups overwrite old ones or does it append/add new data.

for example:

I backed up my old iphone 7 to the icloud. I want to backup my iphone 10. Will my iphone 7 backup be erased with the iphone 10 backup or will the iphone 10 backup just add the newer data to the icloud?

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 4:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 4:17 AM

It stores separate backups for every device. Having said that..

Given a device, the backup is only incremental to the effect that what is in your device is only backed up others are removed.

Present iPhone 7 backup will not be touched if you take a backup of another iPhone 7 or any other model.

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

iCloud backup doesn’t include information that are synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. 

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2020 4:17 AM in response to bondocnathan

It stores separate backups for every device. Having said that..

Given a device, the backup is only incremental to the effect that what is in your device is only backed up others are removed.

Present iPhone 7 backup will not be touched if you take a backup of another iPhone 7 or any other model.

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

iCloud backup doesn’t include information that are synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. 

Question about iCloud backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.