You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

import photos with metadata

Hi,

I downloaded all of my photos from Google and want to import them into the Photo app on my Mac.

when I attempt to do so, it seems to bring them in without the Metadata.

Is there any way to do so?

its over 100,000 photos so fixing the date/time/location etc. manually isn't an option

thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 2:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2020 7:31 AM

AFAIK importing images from Google Photos need some tweaking to handle also metadata.

I use Google Photos and Apple Photos but I am very careful to edit all metadata elsewhere because I want to archive the original images and all metadata in plain folders.

So I have no first hand experience but maybe this will get you going:

https://legault.me/post/correctly-migrate-away-from-google-photos-to-icloud

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2020 7:31 AM in response to avrahamd

AFAIK importing images from Google Photos need some tweaking to handle also metadata.

I use Google Photos and Apple Photos but I am very careful to edit all metadata elsewhere because I want to archive the original images and all metadata in plain folders.

So I have no first hand experience but maybe this will get you going:

https://legault.me/post/correctly-migrate-away-from-google-photos-to-icloud

Sep 14, 2020 3:12 AM in response to avrahamd

Do the photos you downloaded from Google still have the embedded exif tags and IPTC tags?

Download a photo again to a folder in the Finder and open it in Preview. In Preview go to the menu "Tools > Show Inspector". In the Inspector check the the tabs "GPS", "IPTC", "EXIF" to see, which metadata tags have been downloaded from Google. If a photo has GPS tags or a "content created" tag, Photos will show the correct date and location.

import photos with metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.