You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

after I upgraded to Catalina I can't change the default web browser, the options appear blank

I have a macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012, and after I upgraded the OS to Catalina I can't change the default web browser as the options appear blank.

The OS is up to date, and I wouldn't like to remove the other browser completely, I would like to keep it as a backup in case I have any problems loading some features in a page in Safari.

Anyone else had this problem?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 5:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 11:43 AM

That indicates that Safari is currently set as the default.

The only browsers that appear in the list in System Preferences > General are the ones currently installed. I don't know why yours is displaying a check mark. The only thing I can think to suggest is to uninstall whatever other browser you have, install either Chrome or Firefox from their website, set one of them as a default and see what happens.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 3, 2020 11:43 AM in response to brulduarte

That indicates that Safari is currently set as the default.

The only browsers that appear in the list in System Preferences > General are the ones currently installed. I don't know why yours is displaying a check mark. The only thing I can think to suggest is to uninstall whatever other browser you have, install either Chrome or Firefox from their website, set one of them as a default and see what happens.

after I upgraded to Catalina I can't change the default web browser, the options appear blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.