You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant

My migration assistant has stopped working on both my desktop and my laptop since I upgraded to OS 10.15.6. Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. Fred.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 8:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 8:19 AM

Migration Assistant is not an "automatic" function. Rather, it is a function to import data from one computer to another.

Things that would cause problems for it:

1. Importing old incompatible applications.
  2. loss of connectivity between the computers.
  3. trying to import data from a newer operating system.
  4. Lack of space to migrate the data. Note your total imported data should not exceed 85% of the capacity of the computer coupled with the existing data on the system. Simultaneous running of background backup programs such as Time Machine may create a problem for this, as it won't know which files to migrate. Turn off those background programs from Apple Menu -> System Preferences before running.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002463

is a link to Etrecheck, a program that helps you find Launchdaemons which are running in the background which could prevent the migration assistant from running when chosen.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 31, 2020 8:19 AM in response to FshnFred

Migration Assistant is not an "automatic" function. Rather, it is a function to import data from one computer to another.

Things that would cause problems for it:

1. Importing old incompatible applications.
  2. loss of connectivity between the computers.
  3. trying to import data from a newer operating system.
  4. Lack of space to migrate the data. Note your total imported data should not exceed 85% of the capacity of the computer coupled with the existing data on the system. Simultaneous running of background backup programs such as Time Machine may create a problem for this, as it won't know which files to migrate. Turn off those background programs from Apple Menu -> System Preferences before running.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250002463

is a link to Etrecheck, a program that helps you find Launchdaemons which are running in the background which could prevent the migration assistant from running when chosen.

Migration assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.