You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Merge original Fusion Drive SSD and 3rd party internal SSD

Hi all,

One year ago my Fusion Drive partially broke. The Fusion Drive-HDD broke, the 128Gb SSD from the Fusion Drive was still working fine. I ordered an SSD which would be placed inside my iMac by a guy that knew how to do it. Afterwards he did some lines inside Terminal to merge the Fusion Drive-SSD and the new internal SSD as one "Macintosh HD" with a total of 2,128 Tb.

One week ago I wanted to do a clean install and I accidentally undid this merge within the DiskUtility inside the Recovery-mode (Cmd+R) of Catalina; I somehow unmerged it. Can you guys tell me to merge it again as one disk where I can install macOS on? Now I installed Catalina on the "new" 2Tb SSD, but I want to merge the SSD with the original Fusion Drive-SSD that's still inside. Unfortunately I didn't watch the guy do it in detail so I don't know how he did it exactly. Is there a way to do this inside the UI of DiskUtility or only via terminal using diskutil commands.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 5:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 5:53 AM

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies

Merge original Fusion Drive SSD and 3rd party internal SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.