You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my ipad die before it reaches 0?

My iPad will die at a random number, then when I plug it in to an outlet, it will double in percent (For example, dies at 20, charges at 40) and then it stays at that number. Whenever it dies AT 0 it takes a very long time to charge up. This never happens when I am offline. Is there anything I can do to prevent it besides keeping it on the charger at whenever I use it? I have had this device for about 3 years, so could it be at it's end of life? I can still use it, however it often crashes, and is very slow. Another iPad I have has been with me for the same amount of time, but it never does that? !Please Help!

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 5:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 8:20 AM

Hey Hotwheels007,

It sounds like you're having some issues with battery life and charging on your iPad. We can understand wanting to get that resolved. We want to help.

First, we'd recommend checking for and installing any updates that may be available for your iPad. This article explains how: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then, we'd suggest trying the tips in this article: Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan.

If you're still noticing an issue with the iPad, you can restore the iPad and then set it up as new to help determine if the issue you're having is with software on the device or hardware. Make sure you have a good backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. When you are ready to restore and set up as new, please follow this article: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings.

If the issue persists after restoring as new, you'll want to look into having the iPad inspected. You can learn more about your service options here: iPad Service and Repair

For further assistance or help setting up service, contact Apple Support here: Get Support

Thanks!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 30, 2020 8:20 AM in response to Hotwheels007

Hey Hotwheels007,

It sounds like you're having some issues with battery life and charging on your iPad. We can understand wanting to get that resolved. We want to help.

First, we'd recommend checking for and installing any updates that may be available for your iPad. This article explains how: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Then, we'd suggest trying the tips in this article: Maximizing Battery Life and Lifespan.

If you're still noticing an issue with the iPad, you can restore the iPad and then set it up as new to help determine if the issue you're having is with software on the device or hardware. Make sure you have a good backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. When you are ready to restore and set up as new, please follow this article: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings.

If the issue persists after restoring as new, you'll want to look into having the iPad inspected. You can learn more about your service options here: iPad Service and Repair

For further assistance or help setting up service, contact Apple Support here: Get Support

Thanks!

Why does my ipad die before it reaches 0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.