You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

phone backup

I backed up my phone, it encrypted it but did not ask for a password. Then I factory restored it and tried to restore it from the backup but it now wants a password that I never entered. Anyone else have this issue.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:50 PM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2020 8:47 AM in response to codi_2000

Hello codi_2000,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! Thanks for posting here.

We understand that you created an encrypted iPhone backup on your computer, but you weren't prompted to create a passcode. Now when you're trying to restore the backup, you're being prompted for a passcode.

We'll be glad to share a few tips to help you find the solution.

• First, we suggest reviewing this guide About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to understand how the encryption process works.
  • Specifically, we want to point you to the section beneath the caption "Check to see if your backups are encrypted". Do you see a lock next to the backup you recently created?
  • If so, do you recall ever creating an encrypted backup in past?

We await your reply. All the best!

Sep 9, 2020 8:22 AM in response to jdo_apple

Now this is where I draw the line with Apple. Recently, I backup my iphone 6s on my itunes from my PC. The backup took long but it was successful and encrypted. I got an iphone 8 and decided to restore the back up from the iphone 6s onto it. Several tries with the "encrypted password" I wrote down and it kept telling me wrong password. I left it for a few days then tried to restore the backup again with the same password it was successful.

I then backup the Iphone 8 with the same password I used for encrypting my backup which was successful. Decided to restore the backup from the iphone 8 to an iphone 7, it keeps telling me incorrect password. Been trying it over an over with the same password, the password to unlock my phone, wifi password, icloud password, my computer passwords etc. I was not able to restore the backup.

On top of all of it, I have over 746 contacts on my iphone, that "suppose" to be backing up on my icloud. I signed in on my new iphone its only showing 446 from my icloud contacts and none on my recent notes. I now have come to a conclusion if I don't get my backup restored with and all my recent data that suppose to be in my icloud, I am getting rid of all my apple products and moving to another brand. Simple!

P.S. I AM NOT CONSIDERING 6 Years of data from my Iphone lost.

phone backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.