You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant din't move the Home folder to tthe admin account. Why not?

I'm using Migration Assistant to move from a MacBook Pro 2009 El Cap to a new MacBook Air Catalina.

The MBP Admin Home folder was not transferred to Home on the MBA. 

Before migration, I set up the MBA so it had an admin account with the same credentials (name, login) as the MBP.

MIgration assistant moved the MBP admin Home folder (45 GB) into the MBA Users folder and gave it a new name. The MBA Users folder has an empty admin account Home folder except for the standard OS folders (empty) . 

Also on the MBP there is a Deleted user folder that appears to be documents generated in the past up to three years ago. That Deleted user's folder with its documents didn't get transferred to the MBA.

iCloud folders on the MBA are also empty.

My temptation is to just move the misplaced user folder into the Home folder. That probably is a bad idea.

Any help?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 10:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2020 10:58 AM

This page tells how to do the migration. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Note that it covers the case where you have a user already created on the target computer with the same name as on the previous computer. I think this is what you did. Apparently you responded to the prompts in such a way that a new separate user was created. It is actually much easier to migrate on the very first boot up before any users are created on the new computer. One of the users on the new computer should have everything that was in the older computer account. But sometimes the account is renamed unless you instruct it to overwrite the one you created. See below.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2020 10:58 AM in response to Bruce L.

This page tells how to do the migration. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350

Note that it covers the case where you have a user already created on the target computer with the same name as on the previous computer. I think this is what you did. Apparently you responded to the prompts in such a way that a new separate user was created. It is actually much easier to migrate on the very first boot up before any users are created on the new computer. One of the users on the new computer should have everything that was in the older computer account. But sometimes the account is renamed unless you instruct it to overwrite the one you created. See below.

Aug 24, 2020 11:33 AM in response to steve626

I don't recall what I selected on this step. What I have in a user folder with the same name on both computers. On the MBP it is a home folder attached to an admin account. on the MBA it is a user folder not a home folder but with all data and with no account set up for it. On the MBA is an empty home folder with a new name.

As you note I did this in two sessions instead of one.

How do I recover? Move contents of the new user folder on MBA without an account set up into the home folder that is the admin on MBA?

Aug 24, 2020 10:00 PM in response to Bruce L.

I can't tell what has actually happened here. I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving more suggestions about how to resolve this without inspecting the folders, which I obviously cannot do. I don't understand the "user folder not a home folder," I would have expected this to be for a user that you could log in as. Have you tried to do that?

Aug 24, 2020 11:56 PM in response to Bruce L.

Your mistake was creating a user account with the same name on the MBA. Migration Assistant won't be able to migrate your old user account because it doesn't expect there to be an existing account with the same name.

The best approach would have been to use Setup Assistant, when you were prompted, when you turned on the MacBook Air for the first time, too late now.

Now, your best approach would be to create a new Admin account on the MacBook Air, with a name other than the one you want to migrate, i.e. "temp." Sign-out of your duplicate account and into the new Admin account, then remove/delete the account that you initially created on the MacBook Air. Then you can use Migration Assistant to migrate your user account over from the MacBook Pro. Once the migration has completed you can then sign-out of the new Admin (temp) account and login to your migrated user account. If the migration is to your liking, you can then remove the 2nd admin account.

Remember, Migration Assistant is for copying an existing user account to another Mac that doesn't already have that user account.

Aug 25, 2020 8:31 AM in response to Lanny

Thanks Larry;

Right now the MB Air holds migrated data in a folder in Users that is not an account (Not a Home folder and no account setup). So, the data is on the MB Air but in a users folder. There is a Home folder on MB Air for the duplicate MBP account but it is empty except for macOS folders.

Given this, is it necessary to migrate again into a test account (and rename test later I assume)? Or do I create a new account with that folder name and select the folder as a Home?

On the other hand, if I redo MIgation Assistant, it's not clear what I need to do on the Air first. Delete the user folder with data? Any clean up needed beforehand or is Migration Assistant smart that way?

Aug 25, 2020 8:56 AM in response to Bruce L.

It's Lanny, not Larry.

Once again, you should create a new admin account on the MacBook Air, named temp. Then you sign in to that account so that you can delete/remove the previous account that you made on the MacBook Air. Once you've done that, you can use Migration Assistant to add your account from the MacBook Pro to the MacBook Air. If the Migration Assistant brings your prior account to the MacBook Air, you will then be able to use that account on the MacBook Air. Then it will be safe to delete/remove the temp account.

Aug 25, 2020 9:22 AM in response to Bruce L.

Using the "User & Groups," in System Preferences, you're going to remove/delete the user that you created that has the same name used on your MacBook Pro. This can only be done if you're signed in as the temp user admin account. Don't use the Finder for any of this. Leave the Applications and Library folders alone.

When you use Migration Assistant, you can then exclude the applications portion.

Aug 25, 2020 10:39 AM in response to Bruce L.

No, there is no renaming of accounts involved. You are not migrating anything to the temp account. The temp account is to only be used to delete the existing user account on your MacBook Air because you shouldn't have created one there to begin with.

If you don't understand this, boot to your Recovery partition and erase the drive and start over from the beginning.

Aug 30, 2020 5:40 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny;

I deleted the account that was duplicated from the old MBP. (empty account)

I deleted the migrated duplicate orphan user on my MB Air and a folder (had no account) that had the migrated data from the MB Pro by moving it to Trash.

I started Migration Assistant and it ran out of space. Checking the MB Air there is an "other" space in my disk of 158 GB. I think this is the migrated orphan user folder. I tried emptying the trash on MB Air and used Disk First Aid - no result. I can't seem to get rid of the space occupied by the migration that didn't work. It was in a user folder and not an account so I moved it to the Trash. Now it's not visible anywhere except on Storage.

Any idea what to do?

Migration Assistant din't move the Home folder to tthe admin account. Why not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.